Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Chip Off the Old Block ...


Happy Mother's Day to the woman who was my first friend, teacher, cook, maid, seamstress, chauffeur, cheerleader, employer, and hairdresser, but most of all my MOM. You have taught me so very much through the years and I couldn't feel luckier, or more proud to be your daughter. You are truly one of the greatest inspirations in my life.

Thank you for showing me how to be strong even when it felt like the weight of the world was on your shoulders. The things you went through, with dad, but especially in recent years with Pappy, showed just what a steely resolve and strong core you have. That which does not kill you, makes you stronger, indeed!

Thank you for showing me that even when we lose the love of our life and feel like we are drowning in grief, life still goes on. That happiness exists, even when we are immersed in sadness. That laughter can, and often does, come through our tears. That love knows no boundaries of heaven and earth, and feathers are the best gift we can receive - or give!

Thank you for demonstrating that we each have our path and journey in life and even though it's hard as hell at times, you keep at it. I'm amazed at how well you've done since Pappy has been gone. You have tried to be positive while embracing the loss, pain, and anger. You're not afraid to cry, but also not afraid to laugh. Let's face it - Papster would want the latter.

Thank you for teaching me patience as well as the fact it's okay NOT to be Mother Theresa at times. The fact is neither you nor I, nor my own daughters will ever be up for sainthood. And that's okay because sometimes you just "lose" it. That's when you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, (APOLOGIZE!) and start all over again!

Thank you for teaching me generosity. Your love of giving to others, even when you may not have had a lot to give yourself, was a valuable lesson I received early on and often. Today it comes naturally to me and it feels so good to help others, just asking them to "pay it forward" to someone else in return.

Thank you for teaching me how to cook at an early age. I still remember my "Kim's First Cookbook" and all of the great recipes and concoctions I got to  make on my own, especially on days you were working late and I got to make dinner for us! And you loved everything - LOL - probably even when you didn't because I made it! Looking at so many kids today who don't even know how to boil an egg I'm like "Wow".

Thank you for giving me a curfew, chores to do, and punishments when needed, things that I downright LOATHED at the time. I wouldn't be the woman I am today without the structure you had for me growing up. It taught discipline and responsibility.

Most of all thank you for teaching me to love with my whole heart. There is no greater gift than that.

My husband and kids are so happy to have me and all that I do for them but the truth is, I owe it all to you. You taught me. You shaped me. Heck you tolerated me (often) and yet loved me unconditionally. No matter what ridiculous thing I did.

Thank you, mom, for being the wind beneath my wings. Having two adult daughters of my own I hope and pray I have passed your legacy on.

I LOVE YOU!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment